Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 15  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 312-316

Nimotuzumab plus chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil for locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: A clinical study


1 Department of Oromaxillofacial Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Affiliated Xuzhou Hospital, Southeast University, Xuzhou, Jiangsu 221000; Department of Oral Medicine, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, China
2 Department of Oromaxillofacial Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Affiliated Xuzhou Hospital, Southeast University, Xuzhou, Jiangsu 221000, China

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Jian Meng
Department of Oromaxillofacial Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Affiliated Xuzhou Hospital, Southeast University, Xuzhou, Jiangsu 221000
China
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jcrt.JCRT_889_17

Rights and Permissions

Background: A clinical study was conducted to determine the efficacy of nimotuzumab combined with docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil (TPF) for patients with locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) after surgery and conformal radiotherapy. Methods: Thirty-one HNSCC patients received three courses of chemotherapy every 21 days, at a dose of 75 mg/m2 of docetaxel and cisplatin on day 1 and 750 mg/m2 of 5-fluorouracil on days 1–5 followed by 200 mg/m2/week of nimotuzumab on week 1–2 (day 6–21). Results: After sequential therapy, complete and partial responses were observed in 10 (32.3%) and 17 (54.8%) patients, respectively. The overall response rate was 87.1%. A progression-free survival of 71.2% (95% confidence interval [CI] 51.6%–93.7%) and an overall survival of 78.3% (95% CI 58.9%–89.5%) were achieved at 2nd year. The most common Grade 3–4 toxicities during the complete treatment were lymphopenia (25.8%), neutropenia (22.6%), anemia (12.9%), and diarrhea (16%). In addition, no rash and treatment-related death occurred during this study. Conclusions: Nimotuzumab in combination with TPF has been well tolerated as a treatment program for locally advanced HNSCC.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed864    
    Printed13    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded58    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal