Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 215-220

Prognostic effect of symptomatic extracranial lesions on survival of recursive partitioning analysis Class III brain metastatic patients treated with stereotactic radiotherapy


1 Department of Radiation Oncology, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan 250012, China
2 Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021, China

Correspondence Address:
Jian-Ping Xiao
Radiation Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021
China
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0973-1482.160925

Rights and Permissions

Objective: To explore the outcome and prognostic factors of recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) Class III brain metastatic patients treated with stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT). Materials and Methods: Fifty-six consecutive patients with metastatic brain tumors and Karnofsky performance scale (KPS) scores <70 treated with SRT from January 2008 to October 2013 were involved in the analysis. Twenty-five patients (44.6%) were with symptomatic extracranial lesions (SELs), and the other 31 patients (55.4%) were without SELs. The detailed follow-up data of KPS scores were available in 44 patients. The KPS score drop time (KDT) was calculated as the time between SRT and 10 points drop of KPS scores compared to the baseline. Kaplan–Meier and Cox proportional hazards regression analyses were performed for univariate and multivariate analyses. Results: The median overall survival time was 5.0 months (95% confidence interval [CI] 3.42–6.59) for the whole group. In multivariate analysis, the presence of SELs (P = 0.007, relative risk = 4.44, 95% CI 1.036–20.818) was the independent prognosis factor for survival. Median survival time was 3 months for the patients with SELs, 8 months for the patients without SELs. The median KDT of the 44 patients was 3.0 months (95% CI, 1.927–4.073 months). Again only the presence of SELs (P = 0.001, OR = 6.622, 95% CI, 2.108–20.801) was significantly related to KDT in multivariate analysis. The median KDT of the patients with SELs was 1.5 months, which was 5 months for the patients without SELs. Conclusion: The presence of SELs was a negative prognosis factor for the survival of RPA Class III brain metastatic patients. If RPA Class III brain metastatic patients were without SELs, SRT may be a reasonable treatment option, but if they had SELs, SRT may not be a reasonable treatment due to the short overall survival time and KDT.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1954    
    Printed49    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded84    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal