Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2012  |  Volume : 8  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 111-115

Minor salivary gland tumors of the oral cavity: A case series with review of literature


1 Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
2 Department of Pathology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India

Correspondence Address:
G H Pantvaidya
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Tata Memorial Centre, Parel, Mumbai - 400 012
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0973-1482.92224

Rights and Permissions

Background: Minor salivary gland tumors (MSGTs) are unusual, accounting for only 15-20% of all salivary gland tumors. The commonest site of MSGTs of the head and neck is oral cavity. Aims: To describe our experience with MSGTs of oral cavity seen over a period of one decade and elucidate their prognostic factors. Materials and Methods: Over a period of 10 years, from 1991 to 2000, all MSGTs of oral cavity were analyzed. All demographic, treatment and survival data were recorded. Kaplan-Meier curves were used to find the survival. Multivariate analysis was performed using Cox regression. Results: We treated 104 patients with curative intent. The commonest site was hard palate, accounting for 54.8% of all sites. The commonest histology was adenoid cystic carcinoma (45.2%). There were 17 (16.34%) pleomorphic adenoma cases, while the remaining 87 (83.66%) were minor salivary gland malignancies. Treatment was surgical in 91.3% of patients. Adjuvant radiotherapy was administered in 38.5% of patients. The median follow-up was 50 months. Recurrences were seen in 22 (25.3%) of the 87 malignant cases. Using Kaplan-Meier analysis, the expected 10-year overall and disease-free survivals were 75.2 and 65.8%, respectively. Survivals were better in non-adenoid cystic tumors (non-ACC). On multivariate analysis, T status, tumor grade and adjuvant therapy were independent prognostic factors for disease-free survival. Conclusions: MSGTs of oral cavity have good overall survival despite recurrences. T stage, adjuvant radiotherapy and grade are independent prognostic factors for disease-free survival. Adenoid cystic tumors have worse outlook than non-ACC.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2406    
    Printed116    
    Emailed2    
    PDF Downloaded345    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal